Info

Monday, January 31, 2011

Hawaiian Commercials: Good Advertising or Great Advertising Oct. 4, 2010

Hawaiian Commercials: Good Advertising or Great Advertising?
I feel like I have been a little hard on Hawaii lately, so I have decided to write about something Hawaii excels in: ADVERTISEMENTS. I mean it’s not a popular destination by accident (of course the beautiful weather, awesome beaches, great hiking etc doesn’t hurt). Who hasn’t seen a commercial for Hawaii and thought, “Wow. I am going to move to Hawaii.” ? Or something to that effect…The truth of the matter is that Hawaii knows how to market itself like a well-trained professional athlete (or a well-trained whore).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kudh6aIxnis (I guess every college has these come hither commercials
So you saw the advertisements, and you moved to Hawaii. It’s every thing you dreamed of: Palm trees, sandy beaches, weather that stays perpetually at 80 degrees, and a nice ocean breeze. You have been laying out in the sun for a while, and you decide to go inside and veg in front of the TV. After all, living the island life can be quite draining. What kind of commercials can they offer now that you are here?  AWESOME ONES. Local advertisements are the best. Whether it’s a jingle on the radio, a political ad, an anti-meth poster, or a local business commercial, the advertisements are a notch above those on the mainland (Well at least Ohio). I can’t even think of one memorable jingle from a central Ohio business, and I lived there for five years. (However, I do know “that the ‘T’ in Turnpike means truck — Yes, the ‘T’ in Turnpike means truck”) Yet I can hum three Hawaiian jingles any time, any day.  Why is that? Because Hawaiian advertisers know what the people want.
Some are motivational:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq1w2KHmdsk  God, I love this song. I sing it in the shower from time to time.
But most are hilarious. Unfortunately, there are very few out there in cyberspace. So I can’t really share the good ones with you. BUT the best part about commercials in Hawaii is the diversity. Back home, I never really connected with all the blond-haired-blue-eyed women they paraded around in the Ohio commercials. Out here they tend to throw a little more  flava into the mix rather saturating the media with some white-bread would-be actors. There are Pacific Islanders, Asians, white folk, and (my personal favorite) the ethnically-ambiguous ones. Also they don’t use stick thin, anorexic looking girls. Some of these girls are corn-fed, fo sho (or perhaps taro fed?). They look healthy and happy. Which, in turn, makes me feel happy and more likely to buy whatever they are peddling.
I really wish I could find TheCab commercial (422 2222) or the Windward Dodge Chrysler Jeep jingle. Alas. I will have to settle for a random Zippy’s commercial which is totes not even funny in comparison to some that I have seen out here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz8z8a6cZ2A

No comments:

Post a Comment