Info

Monday, January 31, 2011

Dear Glee... Nov. 11, 2010

Dear Glee…
We are breaking up. It’s not me. It’s you. You aren’t the same show I fell in love with.                                                                                                      Sincerely,                                                                                             Jenny
Yes. I enjoyed watching people who are waaaay to old to be high school students sing covers of pop songs…
Cue flashback:  It all started when I heard Brad Falchuk and Ryan Murphy were creating another show. I loved the early seasons of Nip/Tuck and even stuck around way after the show went sour. So I was actually excited to give this new show a try. I watched the early pre-season preview of the pilot and thought, “I can get into this.” After all, I grew up in Ohio, was somewhat socially awkward, and I sang in the Varsity Singers when I was in high school.
Not to mention the eye candy is quite yummy.
Then I forgot all about the show. It wasn’t until my friends started talking about it that I decided to give it another try. The DVD of the first half of the first season had just come out so I borrowed it from a friend. I was hooked. The writing was fairly entertaining. The humor was slightly dark at times and campy at others. I loved it. Besides who doesn’t love rock songs played as a Capella show tunes?
Cue downward spiral: I watched the second half of the season with fellow Gleeks and had to hide my disappointment with each and every new episode for fear of being maimed by the people who thought the “Power of Madonna” episode was actually good. The clever writing disappeared, and the show simply became What-Pop-Icon-Can-We-Suck-Up-To-Next.  Thanks to Joss Whedon and NPH, there was one great episode. Also they got rid of Jessalyn Gilsig who had one of the more interesting, albeit insane, characters.
This last episode, “Never Been Kissed,” might have turned me off for good. Not only was the music completely over-processed (I.e. “Teenage Dream”), but the plot was just… bad. The whole giant-neanderthal-bully-is-acting-out-his-frustration-because-he-is-actually-gay thing was way too cliche, and it overshadowed the one bright shining spot in the whole episode — Kurt’s blossoming romance (Damn my weakness for gay boys). I found the treatment of Bieste offensive and not funny. The whole character is just sad: a larger, masculine looking woman coaches football and she is really good at it, but has a dismal personal life. Oh and her name is Biest (pronounced like Beast)
Really?
I really want to know what the writers were thinking. “Oh! Let’s make fun of her appearance the whole episode, then we show everyone that uglies have feelings too. Let’s make her a super pathetic 40 year old who has never been kissed. Then we make the hot teacher give her a pity smooch.”
Yes, because that’s what every single person who has ever felt ugly or like an outcast wants. Fucking pity.
Why couldn’t she be happily married with a nice husband who loves her? Why can’t she be sleeping around, getting plenty of ass? Why can’t she have an awesome life doing whatever she wants? Why did they write her as this pathetic, sad character? For that matter, how come the only other overweight character is without a love interest? Being of amazonian size myself, I would like to see a bigger character get the love and attention she (or he) deserves— without pity.
So kids, the take home message is that if you are fat (therefore hideous) you will probably die alone, EVEN IF you are a GOOD person.  If you are lucky, a good-looking person might feel bad for you just enough to look past your gross exterior and at your sexy heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment