Info

Monday, January 31, 2011

A College Football Post Oct. 3, 2010

A College Football Post
To say that I “like” college football is an understatement to say the least. I LOVE it. There is just something so perfect about college football that other (professional) sports just seem to lack. They play because they love the game and have pride in their school.
Seriously there is absolutely nothing better than Saturdays in the fall in Columbus. I love waking up early, hopping in the shower, and cracking that first beer of the morning. Making eggs/ grilling out while a “Game Day” play list is pumping through the speakers. Adding layer upon layer of scarlet and gray clothing as the season progresses. Making that walk to the stadium with other scarlet and gray clad fans cheering was we go. Losing my shit when that sousaphone player dots Script Ohio.  Jumping into Mirror Lake while screaming at the top of my frozen lungs, “Fuck M!ch*g@n!” Singing Carmen Ohio. Going crazy after every first down. Standing up on the third downs. Yelling obscenities at the refs. Participating in the call-and-response of OH-IO.  Hearing the victory bell at the end of games. I love it all.

It’s the time of year that my tv doesn’t stray far from ESPN. After all, I need to know what those bastards are saying this time about my beloved Buckeyes. I’m talking to you, Lee. I love to watch upsets and cheer on fellow Big Ten teams (when we aren’t playing them, of course).
When I moved to Hawaii, I was super excited to be a Warrior. Hawaii has a good little thing going on in the WAC. I was told this was a “big football school.” Naturally, I was excited to be surrounded by people I can talk sports with. Maybe I have been talking to the wrong people, but it seems like no one I talk to is passionate about anything out here. I would take a Wolverine or a Gator right now, because then I would have a good argument. People just seem indifferent about sports, in general.
I have yet to make it to game, so I cannot accurately comment on the tailgating situation. I am prepared to be disappointed. I think UH’s problem is that the stadium is several miles away from campus and the downtown area. That means no corn hole in the yard. No beer pong on the porches. There is no mass movement of daydrinkers to the stadium. It’s a bunch of people getting in cars and buses and tailgating in the parking lot. It completely separates the school from the   atmosphere. At OSU if you are on or around campus you can’t escape football in the fall. It’s everywhere, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment