Info

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My Mid-Grad School Crisis.

I blame my parents and teachers.
They believed in me. They told me I was bright, special and full of potential. While they were filling my head with thoughts of grandeur, I was doing very little. I never felt like I was pushed to apply myself. Everybody around me was more than satisfied with the minimal amount work I put forth. My whole life I devoted very little effort to anything academic, yet I was still managed to rise to the top of my class. Even in my undergraduate classes, I spent little time worrying my work. I never worried about grades. Things had a way of falling into my lap. In fact, I started to push the envelope on how much I could slack before starting a project. I would get this sort of adrenaline high from completing a project just in the nick of time. I would chuckle to myself when I received my grade, "If this is the grade I got without trying, just imagine if I actually applied myself."

Now in graduate school, I find it hard to shake my bad habits. Unfortunately, people don't seem to find me nearly a brilliant as the people in my past. It's as if they want me to try harder, and I just don't know how or what they want from me. So here I am, rethinking all my life decisions.

I think the reason I never put much effort into anything is because I have this intense fear of failing. Or maybe I was never as smart as they said I was. I am fraud. I have tricked them all for the last twenty-four years, and it seems as though the jig is up. My luck has run out.

I have never quit anything. I have never failed anything. I will find a way to make things better. I am sure that smart young woman is still somewhere inside buried beneath layers of idleness and sloth. I just need to figure out a way to coax her out and teach her how to work. I need to figure out how to do this soon.

1 comment:

  1. It's the same kind of transition us working stiffs have going from our undergrad to a 9-5 job in a cube farm. It's another transition, and you will adjust just fine.
    Undergrad is a more effective filter than you think (depending on major, I suppose). Lots of people don't make it out. It's still an accomplishment, despite how easy it may have seemed.

    Look at it like this:
    You are finally getting the challenge you need to push you to improve. This is when you get to see what you are really made of. If you've had such an easy time so far, then you haven't been able to fully flex your mental might. Now, you have that opportunity.
    These are exciting times!

    ReplyDelete